Printed from https://amplifymyhealth.org/faq
Frequently Asked Questions
Below is a list of questions and answers which may help in making a decision.
How do I know if I qualify for AMPLIFY?
- Read our eligibility page here to learn more about the criteria and to get connected with a member of the AMPLIFY team.
What are the components of AMPLIFY?
- AMPLIFY includes information about nutrition such as portions, food choices and foods to avoid. The program includes exercise and movement including aerobic, strength and flexibility. It also includes resources on stress management, sleep and coping strategies.
What does it mean that AMPLIFY is a research study?
- AMPLIFY is a voluntary research study supported by the National Cancer Institute (National Clinical Trial 04000880). Results will be used to develop new programs for cancer survivors.
- AMPLIFY is a new study based on previous successful research in cancer survivors, particularly two previous studies, RENEW & BEAT, which produced positive outcomes and created the AMPLIFY foundation.
If I chose to participate, what does it mean for me that I’m a research study participant?
- As a research study participant, you will be randomly assigned to one of three groups that determine the order of the information you receive. For example, you may receive diet sessions first, followed by exercise, or visa versa. Or you may receive diet and exercise sessions combined. This randomization allows researchers to identify the most effective way to deliver these programs to cancer survivors.
- It is essential to know that you will receive ALL of the information, tools, resources, and support no matter what group you are randomized to. It’s only the order that varies.
Do I need to get my doctor’s permission to participate?
- While you don’t need to get a doctor’s referral, we encourage you to share your participation with your medical team so they are aware, and this program can be shared with as many cancer survivors as possible.
Can I participate if I’m finishing treatment or taking a hormone-blocking medication?
- We require that participants are finished with primary treatments (such as chemotherapy or radiation) before they join. Still, you can enroll and prepare to start if you will be completing treatments soon.
- If you are taking a hormone-blocking medication such as Tamoxifen, an aromatase inhibitor, or testosterone blocker (such as Lupron), you can still participate in AMPLIFY.
How much time do I need to commit to this program? Can I participate whenever I want?
- Each week you will receive a session through the online AMPLIFY portal that will take about 15-20 minutes to complete. You can complete this on your own time, and you will receive reminders to notify you of modules and the information to log each week.
Do I need any specific technology (computer, phone, tablet) or experience with technology?
- You will need internet access (if you have a barrier to high-speed internet, we have options to help!), email access or willingness to set up an email.
Is there any cost to me?
- No! This program is entirely free and is funded by the National Cancer Institute. In addition, the items you receive (digital scale, portion plate, exercise bands, and a pedometer) are yours to keep.
- The AMPLIFY program is also budget-friendly, and we have modules to help you eat healthy without high grocery costs.
- There is no gym membership or special kitchen equipment required to participate.
I’m mostly sedentary, do I qualify for this program?
- Yes! We work with all levels of function so no baseline fitness is required. You can get started from the comfort of your home doing movement that is personalized to your level.
I am an oncology or health care professional, or support group organizer who would like to refer patients to AMPLIFY. How can I get more information, request printed materials or connect with a member of the AMPLIFY Team?
- Please read the qualifying criteria to better understand the enrollment criteria and which patients AMPLIFY may benefit. If you have specific questions or would like to request materials mailed or sent electronically, please email the AMPLIFY team at firstname.lastname@example.org.